Masked Cards Frequently Asked Questions
- What are Masked Cards?
- What does the Masked Card feature cost?
- What are the benefits of using Masked Cards?
- Can I keep track of the Masked Cards I’ve used?
- When I use a Masked Card, where does the charge go?
- Can I get a refund for Masked Cards I don't use?
- How much value should I put on my Masked Cards?
- What billing information should I enter into the website checkout form?
- Is this like opening a new credit card? Will this affect my credit rating?
- What appears on my credit card statement?
- Where can I use Masked Cards?
- Can I change my card on file?
- Do I get any rewards for using Masked Cards?
- Is there a limit to using Masked Cards?
- How do I verify my card so I can spend more using Masked Cards?
- Who sees my charges?
- What if I want to get a refund for a purchase on a Masked Card? How do you handle charge-backs?
- What if I want to cancel and not use Masked Cards anymore?
- Do Masked Cards work internationally?
- Can I gift a Masked Card? How?
- 1. What are Masked Cards?
Ever wish you just didn’t have to give out your real credit card info to a company? Now you don’t have to. MaskMe gives you the choice to create disposable Masked Credit Cards on the fly, in the amount you specify. You can shop just like you would with a normal credit card, and your credit card will be charged like normal, but the merchant will never have your real personal credit card number.
The next time you click into a credit card field on a website’s checkout page here’s what you’ll see:
- 2. What does the Masked Card feature cost?
Nothing! You just need to be a MaskMe Premium subscriber in order to use this feature. There is no additional cost to set up or per transaction.
- 3. What are the benefits of using Masked Cards?
We created Masked Cards to bring you a lot of great benefits, including:
- More privacy when you shop. Online merchants won’t get your real credit card number (and sometimes not even your name or address).
- No need to worry about the trustworthiness of an online merchant.
- Your personal card stays safe from hackers and data breaches.
- No more surprise charges: limit the amount that any merchant can charge to your card.
- Specify the end date of a recurring subscription ahead of time by having a Masked Card close whenever you want it to..
- Easily gift a Masked Card for any value to a friend or family member over the web, without going through the usual hassles.
- 4. Can I keep track of the Masked Cards I’ve used?
Of course! Just click the credit card icon on the MaskMe homepage for the details of each transaction you’ve made using a Masked Card.
- 5. When I use a Masked Card, where does the charge go?
When you sign up for Masked Cards feature, you tie the same credit card that you use for your monthly $5 MaskMe subscription to your Masked Cards payment. You can check which card this is on the 'Masked Cards' page of MaskMe. All Masked Card purchases that you make will charge the same amount to your real credit card. You’ll see these charges in your regular credit card billing statement coming from ABINE,INC (meaning your charges are masked even on your credit card statement!).
- 6. Can I get a refund for Masked Cards I don't use?
Absolutely! You can deactivate a specific Masked Card at any time, which gives you an automatic refund of any remaining balance on that Masked Card. Note that you won’t get a refund if there are any pending transactions on the card. Only the available balance will be refunded.
- 7. How much value should I put on my Masked Cards?
We suggest you create cards for the exact value of your transaction. This way, after you make a purchase on a website, you can deactivate the card. Remember that a key benefit of using Masked Cards is limiting how much your real credit card is charged and which merchants get access to bill you. Using a different Masked Card for each separate online purchase is the safest way to shop!
- 8. What billing information should I enter into the website checkout form?
Another benefit of using Masked Cards is that you don’t need to give up your personal billing information either. You can simply use Abine’s address. This will be printed on your Masked Card for your convenience when on a checkout-form, but here it is one more time:
280 Summer Street
Boston, MA 02210
Note that this is important for some websites that verify billing information (otherwise your Masked Card might be declined).
- 9. Is this like opening a new credit card? Will this affect my credit rating?
Nope! Although Masked Cards are real credit cards, they have set limits that you specify and can be easily deactivated at any time. No credit check happens when you create them, and they don’t impact your credit rating. All charges still go to your personal credit card as if you had used it directly for your purchase. The only difference is that you take control of which merchants get to see your actual credit card information.
- 10. What appears on my credit card statement?
All Masked Card purchases you make will appear on your credit card statement as charges from 'ABINE, INC.' Remember that you can view specific Masked Card transaction information from inside MaskMe, under the 'Masked Cards' page. Just click “view” under “details” for a specific Masked Card.
- 11. Where can I use Masked Cards?
You can create Masked Cards with any major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover). The actual Masked Cards you create, however, are MasterCard®, so they work on any website that accepts MasterCard® credit cards. If you ever run into a website that does not accept a Masked Card, make sure you are using the billing address printed on the Masked Card. If you still have problems, please contact our support team to let us know.
- 12. Can I change my card on file?
Sure thing! Go to Settings → Personal Information → Manage your MaskMe Subscription → Update Billing Info. Enter your new card information, click submit, and all Masked Payments will now be billed to your new card on file. Please keep in mind this also updates your new card to fund your $5 MaskMe Premium monthly charge.
- 13. Do I get any rewards for using Masked Cards?
All Masked Card purchases will appear on your regular credit card statement as charges from Abine Inc., which is an online merchant. However your credit card handles rewards for this type of purchase will apply to all your Masked Card purchases.
- 14. Is there a limit to using Masked Cards?
Since the Masked Cards feature is still in beta, we have certain limits in place, such as the number of Masked Cards you can purchase per week, or the total value you can spend on Masked Cards. We don't divulge these limits because we’ll be changing them as users like you utilize the service. You can maximize your Masked Card limits by verifying your card on file with us.
- 15. How do I verify my card so I can spend more using Masked Cards?
To help prevent fraudulent behavior, we require users to verify that they actually own the credit card they use to fund Masked Cards. Doing this verification will raise the limits you have set for your Masked Card spending.
You’ll see the option to verify your card if you run into a limit when trying to create a new Masked Card. Follow the link provided and you’ll see instructions on what to do. Essentially, we will make two charges (each under $1.00) to your credit card. Once we do, check your credit card statement, and input what these two charges were.
- 16. Who sees my charges?
Only Abine and our billing partners have access to some part of your billing activity. What we see is the merchant that charged your Masked Card (which may inform us of the website you made your purchase on, or may not - depending on the website. For example: many websites use Paypal as their merchant behind the scenes, so we would only see ‘Paypal’).
No company sees all your payment and personal information at once, and we only divulge what we must to our partners to have a functional product. For a full breakdown, see our Terms of Service.
- 17. What if I want to get a refund for a purchase on a Masked Card? How do you handle charge-backs?
If you purchased a product you are unhappy with, you should first contact the merchant where you made the purchase. Any refund they issue will go directly to the Masked Card you used. If you already deactivated the Masked Card you used for purchase, the refund goes directly to your personal credit card instead. If you ever experience any issues, our support team would be happy to help you. It is our intention to be honest, transparent, and make our customers happy.
- 18. What if I want to cancel and not use Masked Cards anymore?
You can stop using Masked Cards at any time. Under MaskMe’s Settings, you can uncheck the "Suggest when I should mask my credit card" preference to no longer see the option to create new Masked Cards. You can also deactivate all your existing Masked Cards at any time, which will automatically trigger a full refund of any unused balance remaining on your cards.
- 19. Do Masked Cards work internationally?
At this time, Masked Cards are only available in the U.S. We hope to provide support for more countries in the near future.
When making purchases online (from the US), we support the following currencies: US dollar (USD), Canadian dollar (CAD), Australian dollar (AUD), euro (EUR), pound sterling (GBP), Czech koruna (CZK), Danish krone (DKK), Hungarian forint (HUF), Norwegian krone (NOK), New Zealand dollar (NZD), Polish zloty (PLN), Singapore dollar (SGD), Swedish krona (SEK), Swiss franc (CHF), and South African rand (ZAR). Currency conversions will be automatically handled by our processor.
- 20. Can I gift a Masked Card? How?
Yup! Its possible the easiest and best way to give someone a gift card they can use anywhere.
Open MaskMe and click on the Masked Cards icon, then scroll down to “Create a new Masked Card.” Click the “Get started” button. Enter the amount of money you want on the card ($10 is the minimum) and choose that it’s a gift for someone else. Enter the first name, last name, and email address of the person to whom you’re sending the gift. Hit the “Create Card” button and confirm by clicking “Create Card.” The recipient will be notified about their new virtual gift card via email to the address you provided.
Still have questions?
Use our website’s chat program to talk live with a customer care representative, email us, or call us at (800) 928-1987 during our office hours Monday through Saturday, 9am - 6pm Eastern Standard Time.