Everyone had a MySpace account a few years ago, and many of us never deleted those old accounts when we left. Now that MySpace is partially owned by an advertising network (and, oddly, Justin Timberlake), it’s more important than ever to delete your profile.
If you want to delete your MySpace account and don’t know how, we’re about to make your life easier. We’ve broken it down step-by-step, whether you’re using the new version of MySpace or the older one.
New MySpace: Follow these steps to delete your profile:
1. Log in to your MySpace account using your email and password.
2. Click on “Settings,” located under your main profile picture. Four options will be displayed on the right-hand side of the page. Click the fourth one that says “Delete Account” on the bottom right of the page.
3. A confirmation box will pop up. Click the blue button that says “Delete Account.”
4. As soon as you complete Step 3, the following window will pop-up in the center of your screen:
Select a reason, and then click on the blue button on the bottom that says “Delete my account.”
5. Your account should now be permanently deleted.
Older version of MySpace: Follow these steps to delete your profile:
1. Log in to your MySpace account by clicking on the login box on the upper left side of your page and using your email and password.
2. Click “My Stuff” on the upper left side of your screen. Five options should pop up. Under the fifth option, “Account,” click on “Account Settings.”
3. A box will appear on the left-hand side of your screen. Scroll down where it says “Account Settings & Privacy”and click on the last option, “Cancel Account.”
4. Once you complete step 3, the following window will pop-up:
Click “Cancel account.”
5. Another box will pop-up that looks like this:
Click the blue button on the bottom right that says “Cancel account.”
6. You’re still not done! Another box will pop up warning you that once you cancel your account, all your information will be removed and you will be unable to restore it. This is what you want, so click again on the “Cancel account” button.
7. As soon as you complete step 6, you should receive an email with a link to confirm that you want to cancel your account. Click on that link.
8. Your account should be permanently deleted within the next 48 hours.
Congratulations! You’re one step closer to being more private online.
Coming soon: how to delete your MySpace account when you no longer remember your username or password, or can’t access the email account you associated with your MySpace account.