5 privacy tips for Tinder

Tinder homepageEver heard of Tinder? It’s a new iPhone dating app that lets users select or skip other Tinder users, based solely on looks, with the swipe of a finger.

When you sign up for Tindr, you login through Facebook, select your sexual orientation and five Facebook profile pictures you’d like to associate with your account, and allow it to access your current location.

Then the fun begins. The app allows you to swipe through profiles of potential matches within your geographic area. If you see someone who catches your eye, you tap the green heart and hope they tap back when they reach your picture. When there’s a match, you’re given the opportunity to chat directly with the other person. If a picture pops that doesn’t interest you, you simply tap a giant red “X” and the image spirals off into the abyss.

It’s a pretty simple premise that has become wildly successful and addictive among the college crowd. Whereas online dating profiles can be stressful to write and time-consuming to wade through, Tinder makes dating simple: is someone hot or not?

Do you use Tinder or want to take it for a spin? Here’s a 5 quick privacy tips:

Image: Motherboard.Vice.com

Image: Motherboard.Vice.com

1. You have to sign up through Facebook, which means you’re giving this app full access to your Facebook profile. Make sure you’re comfortable with this before signing up.

2. You have to enable location tracking to use Tinder, which means that the app always knows where you are…and so do other Tinder users nearby.

3. Other Tinder users get to see your picture (which is taken from your current Facebook profile pic), your first name, and your age. It’s actually a lot less information sharing than in the typical online dating profile, which can have physical descriptions, religious beliefs, drinking, smoking, diet, languages spoken, field of study or work, and more.

4. Because you sign up through Facebook, there’s a chance you may receive a flood of unwanted friend requests and messages…or be awkwardly matched with someone you already know. We suggest amping up your Facebook privacy settings and making yourself unsearchable to the general Facebook public.

5. Tinder says that they won’t share your private info or activity on Tinder with Facebook or other users, but they’re totally fine with selling it to third-parties and vendors they were work with.  Just know they could be shipping off your sexual preference, desired age in a mate, and conversations had via Tinder’s chat feature, to advertisers and third-parties.

75 comments shared on this article:

• nous says:

i would like your opinion about that :

By using Tinder, you agree to the information collection, use, and sharing practices described in this Privacy Policy.

As lawyer, can you confirm or not ; if is it legal ?

I have not read something about encrypted chat.
    So they survey the dates ? And share with unknown “communities” few privates informations ?

By whom are thy allowed to do so ?

• Sarah Downey says:

I’m a lawyer, but I can’t give you legal advice. My non-legal advice is that using a service does count as accepting that service’s privacy policy. “If you use it, you accept the terms” is a widely-used approach. Every time you go to a website, you’re accepting that website’s terms. Unless those terms are blatantly ridiculous or unlawful, they’ll hold up.

• Anonymous says:

Well, that was useless.

• Anonymous says:

just ANOTHER worthless POS attorney!!!!!!!

• anony says:

Sounds like someone got schooled by the legal system. The advice she gave was entirely correct. She will not subject herself to liability which is understandable especially given your attitude, you most likely would misinterpret or misrepresent her advice without her present.

If you use a service and it says before launching or executing, “use of this service means that you accept all service agreements and terms of use” then you accept them the moment you use them.

I am not an attorney and nor do I imply to act as if I am. Any advice I have given or may give is strictly non-legal advice and should not be taken as legal advice or otherwise.

• nous says:

Thank you for your answer.

• Heather says:

Do you know how to get Tinder to go back to your original location? I was traveling a lot and it thinks I’m still traveling and I can’t get it to go back to my home location. Thanks!

• ari says:

Can you login without a Facebook account?

• George says:

When i went to log out, it told me that my information was still going to be shared. I have deleted the app but when i checked to see if my data remained/my information was being shared, previous conversations were still there. Any idea how i can clear the whole thing?? And are Tinder still holding and sharing my information?? It’s really bothering me and I need help!!!

• ihtfacebook says:

You cant trust anything Facebook has to do with.

• Anonymous says:

Did you ever figure this out? Same thing is happening to me

• ABC says:

Did you actually delete your account or just the app? You have to delete your account and then it notifies you that all of your information will be deleted rom the app. However, I deleted my profile weeks ago, and just received a message from a friend that they just saw me on there. I’m hoping it’s a glitch in the software and that I’m not still appearing on there.

• Sam says:

The guy that i was dating supposedly deleted his account 5 weeks ago – his profile is still up so would be great to know if its a glitch or whether he is still on Tinder dating

• Anonymous says:

Seriously, what do you think yourself?

• Anonymous says:

Fact: deleting your Tinder account does not actually delete the account. I had a friend show me my account reset to old photos I had removed within 24 hours of me deleting my account. I loved the app, but it’s worse than the Hotel California.

• Melanie says:

Will this show up on my Facebook timeline? Will it be in my friends’ feeds that I’m using this?

• ihtfacebook says:

Why does Facebook have to bully everyone into having a Facebook account? Why am I not able to create an account without Facebook. Its so dumb. Facebook will be gone in a few years when everyone figures what a scam they are running. Harvest your info then sell it. People have got to be out of their minds creating a REAL Facebook account. Hasnt Facebook ruined enough lives. People have lost their jobs, they have been bullied and scammed when will people get the message DONT create a REAL Facebook account.

• Yes, the fact that many sites *require* you to log in with Facebook–which of course means you have to have a Facebook account–is really annoying. That’s one of the valuable things about our new privacy tool MaskMe: it gives you the convenience of a 1-click login like Facebook Connect, but it doesn’t violate your privacy.

And if you’re annoyed by having to log in with Facebook Connect, you’ll appreciate this blog post :) http://dickbrouwer.com/post/16748664071/facebook-perils

• ihtfacebook says:

Thanks for the info. Its crazy this Facebook login thing its everywhere I refuse to do it. No wonder Facebook has millions of fake accounts in it. People are crazy to be using Facebook. You hear of peoples lives being ruined all the time who would take that chance?

• ihtfacebook says:

NO its a scam to get you to create an account so they can control your info.

• Rob says:

I wanted to try this out but guess what? I don’t have a fucking facebook account. And I will never get one. Which is probably the same time I will get laid again. Man, this pathetic world… and some wonder why men are so hostile.

I know this probably isn’t the place to post a general opinion of Tinder (and society) but… since it’s about privacy, here’s a related privacy tip: Don’t have a fucking facebook account in the first place!

• Cat says:

How do you unblock someone?

• Sharon says:

How do I unblock someone?????? Fast!!!! Help

• James says:

Does anyone know the legalities of using images from Tinder on a blog? Just literally taking a snapshot of someone using the app and then placing it on a separate website- fully accrediting Tinder. Would you need express permission from the user themselves or by signing up have they agreed their images are in the public domain and can be reproduced elsewhere?
    Any help would be appreciated

• Mike says:

I wasn’t on facebook but I made up a phony account to get on Tinder. However, my phony account has no friends or anything and it appears this is stopping any recommendations from coming through. Do I need to get a certain number of friends for it to work?

• Alex says:

I am wondering the same thing, can somebody weigh in on this

• Mike says:

I think I read on the timber website that they take the info from Facebook and give you pictures of friends of friends for you to judge, so you are always seeing someone you are one social step from.

• Jay says:

But is there a certain number of friends you need on facebook? my facebook is pretty private and I only have like 70 friends, because I only have actual friends and family added. But my tinder doesnt work? any ideas?

• newtotinder says:

How does it pull my age if in Facebook profile my age is marked private? Not one to lie about my age but it sort of creeps me out that it can find that info without enabling it.

• Maryam says:

Last night I had a nice conversation with a guy. But suddenly I colud not read the messages he sent. And I also got two messages that I have two new matches, but could not see them either. I turned of my iphone twice, but it did not helped. And today still nothing shows on my Tinder wall:(

Have anyone experienced the same?

• jose says:

If I sign up on Tinder, other people who did so will see me as a Tinder user? Or we just can use it without necessarily know whether others signed up?

• Vanessa says:

Hi
    Can you please help me
    I accidentally blocked someone from tinder
    Is there anything I can do
    Thanks
    Vanessa

• Anonymous says:

I’m currently abroad but the app keeps on showing people from my last place in the States. I restarted phone and app but.. Nothing down here it keeps on showing me people in US and mark them a few miles away as I was at the last airport instead on thousand miles away as I am..
    What to do?

• Fiona says:

Vanessa did you find out how to unblock someone let me know asap if you did???

• Elaine says:

Does Tinder show your friends on FB to you, or just people that are outside of your friends?

• diane devenney says:

hello i was wondering if you can use tinder without having a facebook page

• Sofía says:

I accidentally blocked someone, how domingo unblock him?

• Anonymous says:

I just did the same thing!! I can find out to unblock!!!! Please tell me there’s a way!!

• sofia says:

I couldn’t unblock :(
        I did reset my account but that user hasn’t come up yet and I still don´t know if he is ever coming up or if he was deleted based on my facebook info

• Emmy says:

Hey! I had the same problem. I thought I had deleted the account only to realize at a work function that my coworkers had seen my picture on there that night! So embarrassing, especially since I had only had it for a day to see what it was all about. Anyways, after much searching I emailed help@tinder

From the Tinder website: “If you wish, we will delete your account information; to do so, please close your account by sending an email to h...@gotinder.com

So I emailed Tinder and the woman said this: ” To delete your account, navigate to your Settings pane and scroll to the bottom and select to ‘Delete Account’. If you are having trouble, try logging out and then logging back in, and try again. Please be informed that deleting the Tinder application does not necessarily mean that you have canceled your Tinder account. Bear in mind, if you login again after deleting your account, we create a whole new account for you.”

Total BS. They legally claim on their website that by emailing them you can delete all of your data/photos.

Anyways- for professional reasons, I’ve deactivated my Facebook account in hopes that it will make the rouge Tinder account unable to link to my photos. I’m so frustrated because you should be able to know if you are still on there or not but I have had it deleted for AGES and last night these two dudes I work with saw my photo on there.

Super embarrasing, but whatever. Tinder should have more transparency. My advice– just avoid Tinder. It’s funny and a time waster until you get bored with it but then it can come back to bite you. not worth it and a total scam to collect your data and sell to third party sites.

Let me know if any of you have had an easier time deleting it!

• deez nutz says:

Why don’t you delete your photos from within the app first. What’s so embarrassing about someone from work seeing you on the app? For them to see you, they’re using it too lol.

• swittacker says:

This happened to me too. I don’t want to delete facebook. Any chance you figured out how to permanently make your profile stop showing up on tinder? Pleeeease?

Thanks

• Nico says:

How can I unblock someone? Does anyone know now how?? I accidentally blocked someone while having a good conversation. GONE!! Hahahah

• Ella says:

How can I remove my friends and interests from my tinder profile?

• Tonya says:

HELP!! HELP!!

HOW DO YOU UNBLOCK SOMEONE? I contacted the website waiting for a response .. when I hear anything I will post it here. However, if YOU … ANYONE hear a way how to unblock please post it here and let me know.

Thanks a bunch

• Cris says:

How can i block a match??

• Dan says:

Okay so i have been messaging someone and in his profile it said he was active an hour back but he messaged me 10 mins ago. why is it like that?

• Thomasji says:

I’d say that is coz they myt have been online in Facebook an hour ago since tinder is synced with Facebook

• Alejandro says:

I would suggest for the app to have the option of not pairing yourself with your facebook friends, since it really is awkward to find a friend on this app

• mary says:

How do I change my piks it deletes my pik but I can’t seem to add new piks

• Bert says:

My phone isn’t always connected to the Internet.
    Is this a problem for tinder?
    Will people still be able to look at my account/photo even if my internet isn’t connected?

• rosa says:

When i am busy on the Tinder app. Does my FB profile status during that letting it seen as if i am online all that time?

• Anon says:

Facebook is the worlds worst. I have a real life, real friends not this cyber shit. If you want to communicate properly without all this profiling stuff. Lets start our own site!